Released March 2009
Its amazing 26x wide-angle optical zoom is the longest, most powerful in the world. Get sharp shots with Dual Image Stabilization. It's the perfect point-and-shoot camera for sports, outdoor and travel photography -- or for anyone who wants an all-in-one compact camera that takes stunning pictures.
The powerful, ultra-compact lens gives you unmatched shooting versatility. The amazing 26x optical zoom on the SP-590 Ultra Zoom brings you closer to the action, and the wide-angle lens captures more in your picture.
- Shoot telephoto (up to 26x optical zoom), wide-angle (26mm equivalent) and macro (as close as 1cm) with the SP-590UZ.
- Dual Image Stabilization combines Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization with high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds to capture crisp, clear images in any situation.
- Face Detection automatically focuses on your subjects' faces and optimizes exposure for sharp, brilliant portrait pictures.
- With one click, take several shots in rapid succession. With a burst rate of up to 10 fps (3MP), you can freeze moments to capture your shot.
- Pre-capture automatically archives ten frames (3 MP) as soon as the focus is locked to capture the perfect shot.
- View photos on your HD-TV in sharp, clear hi-definition. The HD output lets you connect your camera to your HD-TV using a single HDMI cable.
- Captures three images and stitches them together to create one amazing panoramic picture by simply pressing the shutter button and slowly panning across a panoramic scene.
- Using a live, multi-frame window on the LCD, Perfect Shot Preview lets you view the effects of various settings and then select and capture the perfect shot.
- Shadow Adjustment Technology helps you capture scenes exactly as you see them, even in difficult lighting situations — perfect for outside shots in bright sun when dark shadows are prevalent or shooting in backlit situations.
- The 12 million pixels in the high-resolution CCD create superior image quality. Create large prints without losing a single detail.
- The Manual, Aperture, and Shutter Speed Priority allows full manual control settings for advanced creative shooting, yet it's easy enough to point-and-shoot to automatically capture beautiful images.
- Smile Shot detects a smile on your subject's face and automatically fires off three consecutive shots to capture that perfect smile.
- With improved contrast and color reproduction, the 2.7" HyperCrystal™ II LCD offers a more accurate, precise image display as well as an extra-wide viewing angle and enhanced visibility in direct sunlight.
- Beauty Mode lets you smooth a person’s skin, removing unwanted wrinkles or blemishes. Additionally, make subtle edits, such as slightly emphasizing and brightening the eyes, with a new post-capture feature: Beauty Fix.
- Use the new Soft Background Focus mode on your next trip to a National Park. It enables you to slightly blur the beautiful vista, lake or canyon in the background to accent the majestic wildlife in the foreground.
- 12 Megapixels (effective), 1/2.33" CCD
Focal Length/Lens Configuration
- 4.6 – 119.6mm (26 – 676mm equivalent in 35mm photography)
- 14 Lenses in 11 Groups, 4 Aspherical Lenses, 3 ED Lenses
- 26x Optical Zoom + 5x Digital Zoom
- F2.8 (W) / F5.0 (T)
- 2.7" (6.9cm) HyperCrystalTM II LCD 230,000 dots 5 Steps Brightness Adjustment
- Electronic viewfinder with dioptric correction
- CCD Contrast Detection
Focus Range (from lens surface)
- Normal mode: Wide: 3.9" – infinity (0.1m – infinity)
- Tele: 66.9" – infinity (1.7m – infinity)
- Macro mode: Wide: 3.9" – infinity (0.1m – infinity)
- Tele: 66.9" – infinity (1.7m – infinity)
- Super Macro mode: 0.39" - infinity (1cm - infinity)
- iESP Auto, Spot AF, Selective AF Target, Face Detection AF, Full-Time AF, Predictive AF, AF Lock, Manual Focus
- Auto: 1/2000 sec. –1/2 sec. (up to 4 sec. in Night Scene)
- Manual: 1/2000 sec - 15 sec
- Bulb: Up to 8 min.
ISO Sensitivity (SOS: Standard Output Sensitivity)
- Auto, High Auto, 64, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400
- Digital ESP Metering, Spot Metering, Center-Weighted Metering, Face Detection AE (when Face Detection AF is selected)
White Balance Control
- iESP 2 Auto, One-Touch, Presets (Daylight, Overcast, Tungsten, White Fluorescent Lamp, Neutral White Fluorescent Lamp, Daylight Fluorescent Lamp), White Balance Compensation
- ±2 EV steps in 1/3 EV steps
Image File Format
- Still Image: JPEG
- Movie: AVI Motion JPEG
Number of Recorded Pixels
- 12MP (3,968 x 2,976)
- 5MP (2,560 x 1,920)
- 3MP (2,048 x 1,536)
- 2MP (1,600 x 1,200)
- 1MP (1,280 x 960)
- VGA (640 x 480)
- 16:9 L (3,968 x 2,232)
- 16:9 S (1,920 x 1,080)
Motion Blur Suppression
- Dual Image Stabilization
- 28 Shooting Modes;
- Auto, Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual, My Mode, Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization, Beauty Mode, Scene Modes (1. PORTRAIT, 2. LANDSCAPE, 3. SPORT, 4. NIGHT SCENE, 5. NIGHT+PORTRAIT, 6. INDOOR, 7. CANDLE, 8. SUNSET, 9. FIREWORKS, 10. MULTI FIREWORKS, 11. MULTIPLE EXPOSURE, 12. CUISINE, 13. DOCUMENTS, 14. SMILE SHOT, 15. BEACH & SNOW, 16. BIRD WATCHING, 17. PRE-CAPTURE MOVIE, 18. QUICK SHUTTER, 19. SOFT BACKGROUND SHOT), Movie
- In-Camera Panorama, PC Panorama (Up to 10 frames automatically stitchable with OLYMPUS Master software)
- High-speed2: 10 frames per second, 25 frames (3MP)
- High-speed1: 6 frames per second, 25 frames (5MP)
- Normal speed: 1 frame per second, 5 frames (12MP)
- Bracketing: Exposure Bracketing, 5 Frames
- Interval Shooting
Shooting Assist Functions
- Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation, Perfect Shot Preview, Histogram, Frame Assist, AF Lock, AE Lock, Voice Recording
- AVI Movie with Sound:
- 640x480 (30/15fps)
- 320x240 (30/15fps)
- TruePic™ III Image Processor
- Set automatically at shutter speeds of 0.5 second or longer in specific scene modes
- Still Image: Single, Index Display (4/9/16/25), Up to 10x Enlargement, Slideshow, Rotation, Calendar, Histogram, Voice Playback
- Movie: Normal, Fast-Forward, Reverse, Frame-by-Frame, Index, Voice Playback
Playback Edit Effects
- Still Image: Red-Eye Fix, Shadow Adjustment Edit, Beauty Fix, Resize, Cropping, Black & White, Sepia, Calendar, Face Focus, Brightness
- Movie: Movie Edit, Still Image Cropping, Frame Index
- Built-in, Wireless Flash
- Auto (for low light and backlit conditions)
- Red-Eye Reduction
- Fill-in + Red-Eye Reduction
- Slow Synchro1
- Slow1 + Red-Eye Reduction
- Slow Synchro2
Flash Working Range
- Wide: 0.98ft (0.3m) - 29.5ft (9m) at ISO 800
- Tele: 5.6ft (1.7m) - 16.4ft (5m) at ISO 800
- 12 Seconds
- 22 MB internal memory
Removable Media Card
- xD-Picture Card™ (1GB, 2GB), microSD (MASD-1 is required)
- Multi-Terminal (USB Connector, Audio/Video Output), DC Input, HD Output
- USB 2.0 High-Speed (USB Mass Storage)
- Auto-Connect USB: Windows® 2000/XP/VISTA with USB port, Mac OS X 10.3 or later with USB port
- Software: Windows® 2000PRO/XP/VISTA, Mac OS X 10.3 - 10.5
- Operation: 32° – 104°F (0° – 40°C)
- Storage: -4° – 140°F (-20° – 60°C)
- Operation: 30% – 90%
- Storage: 10% – 90%
- (4) AA Batteries,
- AC Adapter (C-7AC)
Battery Life (CIPA DC-002)
- 340 shots
- 4.3"W x 3.5"H x 3.6"D
- (110.1mm x 89.7mm x 91.0mm)
- 15.3oz (435g) without batteries and memory card